Recipes

Friday, December 3, 2010

Apple Picking Time

One Fall morning, the kids and I ventured out to pick Fuji apples at a family-owned orchard. My family enjoyed picking apples there once before. I thought it would be no different this time. Tessa was supposed to nap. The boys were to help pick. Tessa did not nap; she fussed and wanted to be held. Michael and Robert did not help much, they complained that it was too cold and wanted to stay in the car. Still, I was there and did not want to leave before getting a few apples. Somehow, I managed to leave there with just over 100 pounds.


The fuji apples are delicious--sweet, crispy, juicy. They still taste fresh, and they've been in our cold garage for a month or so.

I did not think I would do any preserving this fall, but I found the time to do a little here and a little there. With the help of a friend, my mom, and the kids I ended up having some canned food to line the tops of my kitchen cupboard--canned pears, peaches, apple sauce, and vegetable soup. Adam likes to see all the canned food that decorates the kitchen. More next year, I hope!

5 comments:

  1. To get this done brings such a feeling of accomplishment. All the time and effort are so worth it when you enjoy all the home bottled goodness later when the cold weather hits. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canned food is fantastic decoration. You're incredible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:18 PM

    Wow, what an accomplishment! (Both getting the family to try an outing and getting all that food canned:)

    That's so good that you do those outings that you remembered and liked. And it's like Elder Bednar said about having family night- they most likely won't be like what you had planned or hoped, but your kids will remember that you did it and have those memories they'll talk about later on. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie8:19 PM

    Whoops. Anonymous was me :) I told you it was getting late!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that thought from Elder Bednar. The kids might even look back on these memories and only remember the high points. I was wondering who anonymous was! :)

    ReplyDelete