Recipes

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Aebelskivers


 

Because many of our ancestors came from the Scandinavian countries, Adam and I wanted to visit the Scandinavian Festival held annually in a nearby town. We loaded up the van with a stroller, baby carrier, and the kids to see the artwork, crafts, dances, and foods that may have been familiar to our ancestors.

  

Of the food, aebelskivers (hollow, pancake like balls) served with norse berry jam, and bif paj (Swedish meat pies) were the two obvious festival favorites. The lines for both were extremely long. I had time to change Robbie's diaper while waiting for Swedish meat pies, and Adam and Emily waited at least 45 minutes to claim our share of aebelskivers.  My friend had waited 1 1/2 hours earlier that day.

I didn't grow up learning a great deal about the traditions of my ancestors, but Adam and I would love to learn about and even adopt some into our family culture. We thought we'd start with family pictures. I have to say Robbie did the best impression.


4 comments:

  1. Fun. Your kids look soooo scanadanvian in those photos. Little blonde cuties. What a fun experience to have so close to home. How was the food by the way? Worth the wait?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids think, "Robbie looks SOOO funny (and cute)!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. We celebrated our heritage by eating Aebelskivers this morning for breakfast at Carrie's house. MMM. What are the odds?

    PS you are missing out on a ROCKIN Idaho weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those pictures. Glad you were able to go to the festival and enjoy the yummy food. Let me know if you ever want to borrw the pan to make your own aebelskivers. That would be a great FHE activity. They are easy to make. I was thinking that might be a fun thing to do with the preschool kids. Lashelle

    ReplyDelete